Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Backgrounds

I do not love painting backgrounds. Usually I am too excited over the main subject of a painting to fool with any elaborate background. Lately, though, I have been trying to put my characters into some kind of setting. I've spent a lot of time working on the background of my latest painting for the Hybrid Moments show in September. Most of the time was spent pondering over how I wanted the background to look, feel, and what techniques to try to make it interesting for me. Last night I put the finishing touches on the background and am quite pleased with the results. Actually, I'm excited! So, I thought I would share a few photos of the work in progress. Tonight I will be working on the character, Codzilla. I can't wait to get started! And yes, the final piece will include a beam of atomic fire breath. Please excuse the sub par photos.

Background early stage:


Completed background!

1 comment:

  1. You know it never really occurred to me that your paintings didn't have a background, but now that I see one with a background it looks AWESOME! I love it Geri :)

    ReplyDelete